From The Kitchen Of Rachelle Underwood



Saturday, March 30, 2013

Creamy Lemon Crumb Bars

I test alot of baked good recipes.  I would say only 50-30 percent get my TDF approval.  This recipe is a huge hit.  In fact I think I prefer these bars to lucious lemon bars to get my lemon fix.  The filling is to die for!  Not to mention the fact that I love cookies and the filling is surrounded by a delicious oatmeal buttery type cookie.  My husband approves and he is the true lover of lemon in our family.  Please, please use REAL lemon juice for this recipe.  It really makes a difference.  I made these a day in advance, and I was glad I did.  The longer that they sat in the fridge, the more set up they were.  Don't expect to cut these into squares for a couple hours after you bake them, as it needs to set. 


Creamy Lemon Crumb Bars

1 1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 c butter, softened
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c oats (quick or old fashioned...I used a mixture of both)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c lemon juice
zest of one lemon

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  In a smaller bowl, combine condesnsed milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice.  mix until fully blended, set aside.  In a medium bowl combine butter, brown sugar and vanilla.  Add flour, salt,baking powder, and oats.  Stir till almost combined, and then use your hands to really mix the dough, it will be crumbly.  Spray an 8x11 pan with cooking spray, press 1/2 of the dough on the bottom of the pan.  Spread the lemon mixture on top of the dough.  Crumble the remaining dough over top evenly.  Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the sides start to just turn golden.  Let sit for at least and hour.  Refrigerate leftovers...if there is any! :)

Recipe and picture courtesy of http://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/2010/08/creamy-lemon-crumb-squares.html

No comments: